Monday, February 2

Out Of The Box Taco Helper

In theory, I love the Hamburger Helper Taco stuff. Tacos are one of my favorite foods, and making a taco dish with crumpled chip topping just feels like a good idea. I mean, the image on the front of the box is enough to make me swoon.

But it's never as good as I want it to be.

Enter the D-I-Y mason jar taco helper which I *think* I adapted from Chickensintheroad.com (I know I've adapted the new Lasagna one from here). This stuff absolutely tastes the way that the Hamburger Helper Taco stuff should. It is so good, in fact, that we use it as a single dish, as a salad topper, and of course as taco filler.



Make Your Own Nacho Taco Rice Helper:

You will need:


  • 6-10 quart sized mason jars (wide mouth makes it easier to get ingredients in and out).
  • Brown Rice
  • Powdered Milk (I use 1%)
  • Corn Starch
  • Pre-made Taco Seasoning (I buy from the bulk section, but you can also make your own here.) 
  • Cumin (optional if you want a little more spice)
  • Garlic Powder
  • Sugar
  • Dried Cilantro
  • Single-serving packets of Doritos chips (I used Cool Ranch and Cheese)
To assemble, add the following to each jar:
  • 1 cup Rice
  • 2/3 cups Powdered Milk
  • 1 TBSP Corn Starch
  • 2 TBSP Taco Seasoning
  • 1 tsp Cumin
  • 1 tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1 tsp Sugar
  • 1 tsp Dried Cilantro
  • 1 single serving size Doritos chips (or 1 cup of Dorito/Tortilla chips in a snack sized Ziplock bag)
To cook:
  1. In a large skillet brown 1 lb. of your favorite meat. Hamburger and Chicken are both fantastic.
  2. Add 3 cups HOT water & Rice mix to the pan. Put chips to the side - don't put them in yet!
  3. Bring the pan to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is cooked through. Short grain white rice should be ready in about 10 minutes, long grain brown rice may take 30 minutes.
  4. During the last few minutes, add 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese to the mix to melt.
  5. Let stand 5-10 minutes, until desired thickness.
  6. Sprinkle broken Doritos as a topping & serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment