Monday, June 28

Hipster Yoga... Not Just For Dallas Any More

In a rare turn of events, this evening I endured what I think is probably the least enjoyable Yoga experience I've had.  Contrary to the positive reviews of their workout DVDs, when I tried the 25 minute DCC Slimdown Yoga routine on Exercise TV (on demand) I was left less than impressed and I am sorry to say that I don't recommend it.

Not that I didn't get my stretch on, that certainly was the end result.  But the exercise instructor (sorry, I didn't catch his name) really rubbed me the wrong way with his rapid-instructions and constant chatter.  Although I get that he was trying to get the point across that Yoga is an experience unique to your body and easily tailored to work at your own pace and fitness level, I was not recharged or encouraged by his rapid-fire affirmations.  Things like, "Hey don't worry if you're doing it wrong.  It's just Yoga." Or, "Now that you've got it, let's get twisted." (WTH... are we making mixed dinks?) I spent too much time trying to figure out if he was a pot-head trying to be on the ball, or if he was a hipster who had one too many espressos before starting the class.

Whichever was the case for Mr. Chatterbox, I think that suffering through the exercise has tainted my glorified lifelong vision of the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders.  I've always wanted to have a chance to dance around in one of their cute little uniforms but if they have to deal with that guy on the regular as a part of being on the squad, I'll cheer for the Seahawks instead.

On a more positive note, I also spent 30 minutes pulling weeds in the back yard and have discovered that this activity is so much easier when it is a few stubby starts instead of a thicket of completely unruly plant habitat.  I was able to get all the little baby blackberry bushes pulled out of my path (those things are persistent!!) and dug up the few remaining dandelion roots that were stealthily hanging out underground.  The yard is still looking beautiful, and 60% of the plants I started with are still alive.  Doesn't sound like much, but for me that is BIG success!

No comments:

Post a Comment