Monday, February 4

High Cholesterol and Weight Loss

Hello out there. I can't believe it's been three months since my last posting. Since my diagnosis back in November, a lot has been going on. We made it through the holidays and into the new year with a bang and 2013 is already full of some amazing projects.

One of my tasks in January was to go back to the doctor for a blood panel to check my cholesterol levels. One of the side effects of Polycystic Fibrosis, which goes hand in hand with difficulty losing weight, is perpetually high cholesterol. Well the results are in and I do indeed have high numbers. The doctor said that if I was in my 50's instead of 30's that he would have put me on medication immediately, but since I'm still recovering from childbirth, still "young-ish", and have already lost 10lbs since my diagnosis & new medication that he would give me the next year to try to lower my numbers through diet and exercise.

If you've been following this blog for any length of time you'll know that I have been doing my best to stay active and eat right for the past several years. Has my diet been perfect? No. But most of what goes into my body is certainly not considered unhealthy for the average woman. Unfortunately, the way my body chemistry is set up I need to be more careful than most.

And so, now that I've pushed the scale down to 186 lbs. and gotten back into my size 14 jeans (yay!) my husband and I are going to try to push it all a little further. We have committed to cutting out red meat, dairy, desserts and high calorie/high cholesterol foods for the month of February. We've only hit February 4th and I've already had some tough moments (sifting the yolks out of my eggs this morning almost brought me to tears), but overall this week hasn't been as difficult as I thought it might be. I don't think I could do it without the support of my dear husband - if he came home smelling like bacon and egg salad sandwiches I don't know what I'd do.


No comments:

Post a Comment