Sunday, July 18

Feel That Extra Stretch... Riiiight There...

The blessing (and curse) of doing exercises that you aren't used to doing regularly is that afterwards you can feel your body's response.  This morning when I woke up I was very aware that I had boxed the Wii a little harder and a lot longer than I'm used to doing!!  Tense shoulders, an almost unmovable lower back, and sore muscles in my neck all reminded me that I had gotten out of my comfort zone.

As the day wore on, it was plainly obvious that I wasn't going to be able to shake the stiffness unless I took the initiative to work the kinks out.  I asked M if she'd be up to giving yoga another shot, and she (reluctantly) agreed.  I popped in an old favorite, Denise Austin's Fat Blasting Yoga.  I've had this particular workout DVD for about 6 years, and I always find myself either forcing it on someone who has never tried yoga before or going back to it myself.

One disclaimer about the DVD, should you decide to check it out for yourself... Denise Austin can be... umm... grating.  Mr. Kawaii, for example, can't stand her.  There are times when I can't stand her.  Sometimes, since I have most of the moves memorized, I put the DVD on mute and follow along with the radio playing in the background.

That said, the DVD is phenomenal for anyone who is wanting to give yoga a try without the commitment of hiring a personal trainer or having to do "downward facing dog" in a room full of people who can see your underwear lines.  Although Ms. Austin and I don't always get along, I can say that it is truly my most favorite workout tape and I haven't found another yoga exercise routine that I enjoy more.

So... going back to my original thought here... M and I worked through the first segment on the DVD which is a 30 minute tour of flexibility and strength exercises.  (The second and third parts are much more advanced and are daunting unless you are doing them on their own... very rarely can I make it through all 3 parts in one session)  M made it through, and both of us only almost fell over a couple of times.  Even though I've had this DVD forever and have worked out to it at some times daily, I am STILL surprised at how loose, sweaty and sleepy I am at the end of it.  M was sure surprised too!

Fat-Blasting Yoga 
Fat-Blasting Yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment